Saturday, October 25, 2008

JAKE: DIAMONDBACK OF THE MONTH!!!

We are so proud of Jake!!! This week we received a letter in the mail that Jake had been chosen as Diamondback of the month (he goes to Fort Herriman Middle School and they are the Diamondbacks). We were invited to a breakfast on Thursday morning. It was so neat. The principal, counselors and teachers were there. There were also 11 other students who had been chosen (they choose 2 boys and 2 girls from every grade). The principal explained that being chosen is very prestigious because the process for being chosen is extremely rigorous. He said that every month the teachers each choose 4 boys and 4 girls from each grade that they think exemplify the "Rattle Characteristics/Traits" R: Respects Self and Others-A: Always in the Right Place-T: Totally Prepared-T:Takes Responsibility-L: Lives to Learn-E: Exhibits Character. He explained that they then take the students with the most votes and send out a list of them to the teachers and they vote on who they think should win. Then it comes down to the top 4 boys and 4 girls in each grade and there is one final vote. The 2 boys and 2 girls with the highest number of votes are chosen. I have to admit I was one proud mom!!! One of the counselors came up to Jake and me and quietly said, "You know, to ever receive this award is quite the honor, but it is most impressive in the first quarter of 7th grade because that means your son has made quite the impression on his teachers." She then went on to explain, " You see, we usually see the same names over and over again for this award of our very best students and once they are chosen they can't be picked again. For Jake to be picked at the beginning, with such fierce competition, is the greatest honor!" Then Jake's art teacher came up to me and said, "I have to tell you, your son is such a joy to have in my class. He is one of the nicest boys I have taught in all my years and he is just such a great kid. If I weren't done with my child-rearing years (she's probably mid 50s) I'd snatch him up and take him home with me." We ate our breakfast as the kids were called up one by one to receive their plaques and shake hands with everyone. Then they were also presented with a folder with letters from their teachers to them. I want to share some comments that were made about Jake by some of his teachers.
Ms. Van Heiden (math): "I can always count on you to do the right things at the right time."
Mrs. Strang (art): "He thinks before he speaks and is self-disciplined, always accountable for his actions. He is kind to others and has a really good sense of who he is and how he fits in."
Mrs. Anderson (english): "Your bright smile and witty sense of humor really make my day. You are a hard worker and a great example to all of us of what it means to, Live-to-Learn."
Mrs. Nielsen (history): "Jake, I think that you are a very exemplary student and you show your classmates how to behave in class. You are what I like to call a "quiet leader" and you have a strong influence on your peers."
It was such a great day for Jake and his parents are very proud of him!!!


3 comments:

Susan Young said...

It is so good to finally look on your blog. What great kids you have. It's fun to see all this big boy stuff. Congrats Jake. It's very impressive that a boy in Junior High is thought of so well by his teachers. Well done to your parents as well for raising you right.

Sweet Tweets Boutique said...

Jake, You da' man! Congratulations! The Stoker's knew you were the #1 Diamondback long before they gave you the honors!

Allyson said...

Becky, that's incredible! I'd be equally proud! I really hope Christian can get that award (but south jordan middle school students are the snow leopards). I think he has a chance with his behavior and grades. Anyway, congratulations to both of you! Well done!